La Vie est Belle: My First Beauty post - La Roche-Posay

01:53

I have an admission to make. At twenty-five I am utterly clueless about beauty products and makeup. Not to mention totally useless. Yes, I am ashamed.

Why is this? Well I grew up in the countryside and I spent a good deal of my time on rain- and windswept hillsides in England and Wales, where anything short of tattooing my eyeliner on couldn't have held it in place. Second of all I went to a quite strict girls' school where even a hint of concealer was forcibly scrubbed off by the school nurse. Thirdly I've never really bothered. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means a natural beauty and I'm not vain enough to think that I 'don't need' makeup. What I AM is lazy and unwilling to sacrifice the extra five minutes in bed to put mascara on my bleary eyes. I never spent the hours as a looks-obsessed teen practicing my technique and now in my mid-twenties the thought of trying to perfect my eyeliner wings seems like a chore rather than a part of my morning ritual (which actually involves about nine cups of tea...).

But what better place to try and get to grips with all things beauty than in Paris? The origin of some of the world's great beauty brands and home of some of the most chic and beauty savvy people in the world. So I'm going to post a few reviews of some of the French brands I think you have to try. Most will be available in the UK, or at least over Amazon. Some may be a little more difficult to source, but they will be worth it!

So here we go - my first ever French beauty review of La Roche-Posay



Apologies for the rubbish photo quality - taken on my phone during a thunderstorm.




EFFACLAR Purifying Cleansing Gel.

I see a lot of blogs on the Purifying Micellar Water, Serozinc Spray, and Thermal Spring Water products from this range designed to target oily and combination skin. But I would like to talk about the cleansing gel. Why? As you may have surmised from my little rant above - I am all about simplicity and the basics of beauty. Also, again, I'm lazy. When I come home I don't want a multi-step programme that requires a lot of products and a lot of cupboard space. I just want to wash the make up, dirt and oil off my face and r-e-l-a-x. This cleanser does that.

I have had combination skin that is prone to oiliness since I was a teen - but unlike many with oily skin, my skin is incredibly sensitive and, thanks to my Celtic paleness, it shows redness and rough, dry patches from over-washing like a fucking beacon. I go from slick to parched in the space of one wash. The EFFACLAR range is described as 'A complete solution for all types of imperfection and blemish-prone skin' but with La Roche-Posay's emphasis on their target market of those with 'sensitive' skin - and I am totally convinced. This product really delivers on its promise of combating oil without over-drying. In addition to this, it's paraben free, soap free, and hypoallergenic.

I had been suffering a hormonal imbalance after a change in medication and just went through a series of hellish exams at law school. Suffice to say that my skin was not looking its best. I was spotty as hell, dull, and going slightly grey from tiredness and stress. I'd tried my usual gentle cleanser (Aqua Marina from Lush Cosmetics) and my favourite Night treatment (Tea Tree Night Lotion by The Body Shop) but nothing was cutting it. After reading endless rave reviews of the Purifying Micellar Water and the Thermal Spring Water by La Roche-Posay I thought I might as well give it a go. At £11 for 200ml from Boots, it's not the cheapest face wash you'll ever buy, but I would argue that you get a lot for your money. The bottle is BIG - much bigger than the standard high street cleanser like Biore or Witch. But in addition to that, a small amount of  the gel-like product goes a hell of a long way. It feels very thick, but transforms into a wonderfully light foam when added to water, even the hard, limescale laden water where I live. It also has a lovely smell, which reminds me a little of orange blossom (a personal favourite scent of mine), which is delicate and not overpowering. I sometimes use this with my Magnitone Lucid face brush for some added exfoliation - but it is just as effective without any additional effort. When the foam is washed off with warm water, my skin feels refreshed and squeaky clean, but in no way tight or dry. Plus all my makeup is gone, and I only wear waterproof mascara (because - y'know- I live in Britain). In under a week of using this product my skin had cleared up and even those annoying under the surface blemishes had faded. I am a total convert to this simple yet effective cleanser. Worth the price tag - and I've barely made a dent in it after almost a month.

Anthelios AC SPF 30 Matte Fluid

This is 'high facial protection for imperfection and blemish-prone skin.' As I said before, my skin is oily and pale - thank you Celtic genetics. I always use a moisturiser with SPF, but somedays in the summer you need a bit more, even when you are just popping out for a coffee. Not only is it a nice factor 30 - ideal SPF for popping out for a couple of hours - but it mattifies the skin too! Loads of suncreams deliver on protection but leave us oily skin-types with an unpleasant sheen that cannot be covered with foundation or powder. But not with this.

The formula is very light and doesn't feel oily at all, but the texture is a little chalky which can feel odd. It does take a bit of working into the skin, and using a lot can make you look a bit pale and powdery (Marie Antoinette chic - non?). I'm not sure if this would make it less suitable for darker skin tones. I know someone with olive skin who uses this and admits it takes a bit of working in but still loves the product. I would love to know if anyone with a darker skin tone uses and likes this product. When used correctly the end result is a non shiny face, and because it's non-comedogenic it won't clog your pores.  It's water resistant, has UVA and UVB protection, and like all La Roche-Posay products it contains thermal spring water. For all of us with sensitive skin, it is also 100% hypoallergenic and perfume free, which is brilliant. That being said, it is not for use on very dry skin, as its powdery texture will stick to flaky skin patches. I would highly recommend using this on top of an SPF moisturiser for all skin types - this is not a 2-in-1 moisturiser product. I personally like this product as it sinks into my skin quickly, and leaves me feeling matte and fresh for ages. It delivers more than the standard facial suncream, and makes me feel like I can show my oily face in public when the sun is out.

One of the disadvantages of this product is the price. In Boots, 50ml is £16.00 - quite a price tag for this small bottle. The size is excellent for the handbag, and a little goes a long way, but it's not much for your money. Whilst I really like this product and it delivers on its promises, it is only for days when you need to look your best and are willing to pay for it. Or its back to the own brand facial suncream.

Well that's my first French beauty post. I hope you enjoyed it.

No comments: